Even if you think you know what you would like your next career step to be, it is always a good idea from time to time, to have a look at other options. The Australian government produces lots of statistics about work and employment, and reading industry blogs can be a great way to find out more about job sectors from people who really know their stuff, they are also a good way to gain useful information before an interview.
For many people, however, the problem with accessing all of this information is time. All the career information we need is out there but the time to look through it often eludes us. To encourage you to think about different career possibilities that might suit you, we sought out information about Australia’s fastest growing careers and have created a quick guide about each one for you. For each industry, this guide includes information about growth and employment, available qualifications and recommended blogs.
Across Australia work is ongoing to improve the road and rail networks and their links to cargo ports. The logistics and supply chain sector is a vital element of many other sectors and progress is both required and happening. With the potential of big global players like Amazon arriving in Australia the logistics industry is looking healthy, with many occupations in growth and demand for employees high.
- Supply, Distribution and Procurement Managers (44,000)
- Purchasing and Supply Logistics Clerks (85,000)
- Over the past 5 years the number of jobs has grown strongly (source)
- Moderate growth is expected in the future. New jobs and turnover from workers leaving may create between 10,001 and 25,000 job openings over the 5 years to 2020.
Quick facts about Logistics careers
- Supply, Distribution and Procurement Managers work in most parts of Australia.
- They mainly work in: Transport, Postal and Warehousing; Manufacturing; and Wholesale Trade.
- Around 8 in 10 workers are male.
Highest number of female workers
- Purchasing and Supply Logistics Clerks (41%)
- Certificate IV in Logistics (TLI42016)
- Certificate III in Logistics (TLI32416)
- Diploma of Logistics (TLI50415)
|Blog Name||Career Tips||Industry Specific Advice||Useful Resources||Australia Specific|
|Now That’s Logistics||N||Y||N||Y|
|Supply Chain & Logistics Blog||Y||Y||Y||Y|
Our One Minute Career Guides can only give you limited information but they are very useful for giving you an overview and comparing careers options. If you would like more details about any specific career, keep an eye out on our Skillstalk blog, where we regularly feature individual careers or career sectors, interview industry experts and give advice.