The current average salary of an
Child Care Assistant
is $40,600 - $52,700 annually
Child care assistants help the primary child care teacher with supervising and caring for the children. Employment for this role is expected to grow very strongly to 2022, from 92,800 workers in 2017 to 114,700 by 2022. 91,000 job openings are expected over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the education industry.
Child care assistants perform non-teaching duties such as preparing activities, supervising the children, and cleaning/organising the facility.
- Excellent with children, can exhibit high levels of empathy, patience, and understanding of child psychology
- Observant, able to multi-task, and able to effectively coordinate activities and tasks
- A strong ability to work well within a team environment
- Excellent communications skills for providing their supervisor with any updates or concerns
- Ability to work well under pressure or problem-solve in critical situations
- A strong performer with practical, hands-on work