The current average salary of a child care worker is $38,700 - 53,620 per annum
Child care workers provide care and supervision for children, either in a centre or in their residential home. Employment for this role is expected to grow very strongly to 2022, from 142,200 workers in 2017 to 168,000 by 2022. 168,000 job openings are expected over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the education industry.
Child care workers must exhibit high levels of empathy, patience, and understanding of child psychology and behaviour.
- High patience levels for dealing with children and possible behavioural difficulties
- Good persuasion skills for getting children to follow instructions
- A high level of creativity for developing fun activities and tasks for children to engage in
- Ability to foster caring, trusting relationships
- A quick problem solver in the case of critical situations
- Observant and good at multi-tasking