The current average salary of an
Early Childhood Teacher
is $49,740 - $66,430 annually
Early childhood teachers promote the intellectual, socio-emotional, and physical development among children aged 3-6. Employment for this role is expected to grow very strongly to 2022, from 47,000 workers in 2017 to 59,400 by 2022. 36,000 job openings are expected over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the education industry.
Early childhood teachers must have excellent communication skills and ability, empathy, and patience to assist and care for young children.
- Excellent English and numeracy skills to develop children’s knowledge in these areas
- Top-notch communication skills for instructing and teaching children
- High levels of patience and empathy for dealing with potential behavioural difficulties
- Active and creative; can plan fun, dynamic tasks and activities for children to engage in
- Observant; can detect signs of illness, emotional disturbance or other disabilities
- A good understanding of child psychology