The current average salary of an
is $60,000 - 74,000 annually
Payroll officers prepare payrolls and keep records of employees’ hours worked to disburse salaries/wages. The job is likely to be stable over the next 5 years, with 13,000 job openings.
Read more about the accounting and finance industry.
Payroll officers need to monitor a company’s payroll information, ensuring it is accurate so as to pay each employee correctly and on time.
- Accuracy while tracking each employee’s working hours, overtime, leave taken, entitlements, superannuation, etc.
- Strong head for numbers to perform calculations with commissions, bonuses, taxes and other deductions
- Clear communication skills to answer employees’ questions and convey information on changes to benefits or salary structure
- Adept at using computer software to do accounting, time-tracking and human resource management
- Interpreting industrial award rates and applying them accordingly
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines