The current average salary of an
is $60,500 - 82,500 annually
Social workers assist with the social needs of families and individuals, empowering them to use the skills or resources needed to resolve social or other problems. Employment for this role is expected to grow very strongly to 2022, from 28,300 workers in 2017 to 34,700 by 2022. 25,000 job openings are expected over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the community services industry.
Social workers have an understanding, patient, driven, and empathetic personality to be able to handle the social needs of their clients on a daily basis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for listening and communicating with clients regarding their social needs and concerns
- Strong leadership skills for planning and implementing research projects that address client needs and social policy
- Strong critical thinking skills for identifying problems, understanding, and resolving them
- A good understanding of psychology and human behaviour
- A background in therapy and counselling may be required or preferred
- A good understanding of customer and personal service