The current average salary of an technical writer is $50,300 - 106,500 per annum
Technical writers are responsible for creating documentation that communicates technical information in a specific area. While employment for this role is expected to slightly decrease in the next 5 years, from 24,600 in 2017 to 23,700 in 2022, there are still 11,000 job openings expected to pop up over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the information technology industry.
Technical writers must have the exceptional skill of using text to communicate detailed, clear information on their field of expertise.
- An excellent ability to write up detailed, informative documentation using non-technical language
- Excellent research skills for gathering all the technical information they need to write
- A thorough knowledge of the area, field, or industry they are writing about
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent ability to meet deadlines and work efficiently under pressure
- Good at multitasking and time management