The current average salary of an
Video Game Designer
is $65,000 - 104,000 annually
Video game designers work together to code programs across several platforms (i.e. computers and various gaming systems) to create new and exciting games. Employment for multimedia specialists like video game designers is expected to grow. Employment in this small occupation is expected to grow from 8,800 to 9,000 by 2022.
Read more about the information technology industry.
Video game designers develop stories and design games around them. Each game is thoroughly tested to ensure it is playable. Each designer may focus on a particular aspect of the game.
- Working collaboratively to come up with new concepts and stories
- Use flowcharts to develop storyboards
- Test for bugs and errors to ensure the game is coherent and playable
- Work on a designated aspect of the game such as: environment, rules, design
- Design user interface and support mechanisms, as well as different levels of the game.
- Combine game animation, assets, characters, narrative, AI behaviours, text, and sound collaboratively.