The current average salary of an
Alcohol and Other Drugs Worker
is $51,900 - $64,800 annually
Alcohol and other drugs workers might undertake tasks such as providing support, information and advice to clients about alcohol and other drugs, as well as mental health and addictions. They might evaluate and coordinate the services of community service agencies. There are likely to be around 40,000 job openings in welfare support, up until 2022, from new jobs being created.
Read more about the community services industry
Alcohol and other drugs workers might interview and assess clients about the nature and extent of their difficulties with alcohol and other drugs.
- Referring their clients to alcohol and other drugs agencies to provide additional help
- Counselling and supporting their clients on managing issues with alcohol and other drugs
- Talking with community groups, other stakeholders, government bodies and private clients about promoting awareness of drugs issues
- Supporting the families of clients, and providing education about dealing with drug related issues
- Assessing community need and resources for health, drug and alcohol management, employment, and other services
- Putting together submissions for funding and resources