So you’ve decided to study online – great! Now’s when the fun begins. Whether you’ve got a particular career you want to embark on, or you’re just starting to think about your next step, it’s important to know what you’re looking for when choosing to enrol in online education.
Each course will equip you with different skills, and different experiences, so here are some things to keep in mind when you’re searching for the perfect online course for you!
What should you look for in an online course?
1. Skills being taught.
Have a particular set of skills that you’re looking for in mind? It’s important to check different online courses to see whether they’ll be able to provide you with those skills, as well as what other skills you’ll pick up along the way. For example, Upskilled’s course descriptions outline each section of the course that will be taught, as well as the skills you’ll be equipped with upon completion. That way, you can assess whether the course is right for you.
2. Interaction with tutors/other students.
One of the most important things you can learn in any educational environment is the ability to collaborate with people from all walks of life. Finding out whether you’ll be working individually or participating in group discussions with students/tutors will help you decide between similar courses – after all, the more collaboration, the better!
3. Practical, rather than theoretical.
One of the benefits of studying online is that you learn practical skills, rather than theory. Ensuring that the course you’re looking at will provide practical experience (where possible) is a great way to work out which online course will best suit your learning style, as well as your career goals.
Practical skills are immediately applicable to the workplace, no matter what industry you’re in, so it’s a great way to seamlessly transition into a different industry, if that’s your goal.
4. Recognised by the industry.
Do people have success landing a job in their field after completing the course, and what jobs does the course prepare students for? It’s important to read through the course descriptions to see whether potential occupations are listed, so you can see whether those careers may suit you.
This is especially important if you know you want to head into a particular industry but aren’t sure what particular role you’re looking for after studying.
How has the course been reviewed by those who have already completed it? Student feedback is essential to deciding whether a course is worth enrolling in, as that’ll give you an idea of what you’re signing up for. Similarly, find out what experiences have had with the person/people teaching the course, as you want to be sure you’ll gel with their personality/s!
What are the benefits of online courses?
Studying online will suit many people’s lifestyles, especially if you’re already currently in the workforce. Some of the reasons studying online is so appealing include:
- Flexibility – studying online means you can choose how and when you learn, rather than having to spend time travelling to and from a physical campus. Everyone has different personal commitments that take priority, and an online course can fit around these, making committing to studying a much easier proposition.
- Get job-ready quicker – in comparison to traditional university courses, online courses are often more targeted towards a specific career, as well as shorter in duration. This means you can take steps towards your dream career sooner!
- Lower costs – studying online means you don’t have to pay for travel and housing costs, and educational providers can price things based solely on the tuition being provided, rather than additional costs like maintenance of the campus. Lower costs mean you can invest money into the things that matter, as well as take more online courses than might be possible in-person.
- Access to numerous education providers – while there may only be a handful of educational providers in your state/territory, studying online means you’re not restricted by geography. Have you always wanted to study with an overseas institution? Thanks to the power of online learning, you can.
How to choose the right online course
Apart from the content of the course, there are a few other things that you’ll want to consider when choosing the right online course, especially when it comes to logistics. They include:
- Cost – does the course suit your budget? Everyone’s budget will be different, so you’ll want to set one beforehand so you can choose accordingly.
- Time frame – how long will it take you to complete the course? Different courses will take different periods of time, so you’ll want to keep this in mind when choosing a course.
- Delivery – how is the course set to be delivered? Will it be in separate units by separate tutors, and will it be wholly online, or a hybrid learning environment? Each method will suit different people, so choose wisely.
Is it time for you to choose a course?
Upskilled’s range of nationally recognised courses mean that everyone will be able to find a course that suits their career aspirations, no matter what. Find out more by visiting our website here, or get in touch with our education consultants on 1300 009 924 to discuss how you can make your next career move!
Ben Madden is a Melbourne-based writer, who loves all things music and sport. He’s a long-time and long-suffering Essendon supporter, and if you’re looking for any music recommendations, he’s your guy.