The current average salary of an
is $65,300 - 75,400 annually
What does a counsellor do?
Counsellors give talking therapy to help people deal with emotional issues or difficulties. They work face-to-face with individual clients, couples or small groups. Employment for counsellors to 2019 is expected to grow very strongly. Employment in this large occupation grew very strongly over the last five years.
Read more about the community services industry.
What skills do you need to be a counsellor?
Counsellors encourage clients to talk about their feelings and emotions and provide support with issues related to these.
- Understanding a range of needs including drug and alcohol abuse and mental health issues
- Talking to clients to evaluate their emotional and physical needs
- Leading counselling meetings with groups to facilitate communal understanding
- Helping clients to adjust attitudes and expectations within a variety of relationships
- Working with other counsellors to promote the understanding of those with needs
- Developing rehabilitation plans alongside clients