The current average salary of a mental health worker is $56,630 - 74,000 per annum
A mental health worker cares for people with mental health issues, substance abuse, poverty and other social problems. They assist psychiatrists, doctors and nurses by monitoring patients/groups, providing therapeutic assistance and keeping patient records.
Read more about the community services industry.
Mental health workers help patients resolve psychological issues, provide counselling and refer them to relevant social services programs.
- A caring personality with a thorough understanding of services offered and systems to follow
- Ability to make sound decisions under pressure and de-escalate crises
- Excellent inter-personal and listening skills
- Empathy, tact and patience
- Keen social perceptiveness; the ability to understand why people react the way they do
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving skills