The current average salary of an
Network Security Engineer
is $103,700 - 153,500 annually
What does a Network Security Engineer do?
Network security engineers work with larger organisations to ensure the security of network related hardware and software including network monitoring tools, VPNs and firewalls.
Read more about the information technology industry.
What are the key skills of a Network Security Engineer?
Network security engineers design, implement and monitor a range of tools to ensure network security. Their work requires specialist knowledge.
- Ensure the smooth running of server and network architecture
- Provide solutions for arising security issues such as viruses
- Implement a regular and effective system of testing to maintain security
- Oversee the installation of new system components
- Write policies for system security and ensure adherence to these
- Deal with security breaches as they occur
How to become a Network Security Engineer
If you're interested in pursuing a career as a Network Security Engineer, you'll need to have a bachelor's degree majoring in computer science, software engineering, or cyber security. Due to the technical nature of the role, this is the minimum educational requirement.
We recommend studying a ICT50220 - Diploma of Information Technology (Cyber Security) as this is great starter course if you're looking to build fundamental skills in cyber security, which can prepare you for further study to pursue the role of Network Security Engineer.