The current average salary of an WHS officer is $80,000 - 100,000 per annum
WHS Officers assist with ensuring that employees are operating within a safe, OHS-compliant environment. Employment for this role is expected to grow strongly to 2022, from 26,400 workers in 2017 to 30,600 by 2022. 16,000 job openings are expected over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Read more about the WHS industry.
WHS officers observe, assess, and report on the safety performance of a workplace, and assist with developing procedures that meet safety guidelines.
- A sound knowledge of all the jobs they observe within the organisation
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to document and deliver content to employees
- Keen observation skills to monitor the safety performance of a workplace and identify risks or hazards
- Strong problem-solving skills to suggest necessary changes to unsafe work conditions
- Excellent organisational skills for all documentation related to workplace compliance and WHS program to educate employees
- A strong work ethic and ability to communicate and collaborate with others