The current average salary of an
is $53, 300 - 67, 600 annually
What does a youth worker do?
Youth workers provide advocacy and serve as a role model for teenagers and children, within a youth centre or program. Employment for youth workers to 2022 is expected to grow very strongly. It is likely there will be around 40,000 job openings in this time. This is a very large sector (52, 300 in 2017).
Read more about the community services industry.
What skills do you need to be a youth worker?
Youth workers strive to build sustainable, therapeutic relationships with disadvantaged or at risk youth. They must be sensitive to cultural and individual differences and needs.
- Interview mentees and assess their difficulties and the extent of their needs
- Supervise children and keep them safe
- Understand regulations and ensure they are adhered to consistently
- Maintain paperwork concerning clients, their wellbeing and the services they are being provided
- Keep workplace and facilities hygenic and orderly
- Create and organise group activities