In this week’s Facebook poll
, Upskilled asked whether you should put a photo of yourself on your resume. Results have shown that 84% of you believe that you shouldn’t put one on there
. Here are some interesting facts
Skillstalk found on including a photo of yourself on your resume.
Why adding a photo on your resume may not be such a good idea
- Some employers may see it as unprofessional: You may have used a selfie or a photo of yourself from a holiday trip. This can come across to some employers as you not taking the application process seriously if you’re not careful about the selected photo.
- The recruitment process may not be bias-free: There may be an unconscious bias for recruiters if they already know what you look like before meeting you for a job interview.
- Adding a photo may pass up a job opportunity: It’s nothing personal but employers may not screen your resume at all if a photo of yourself is included. They may think it isn’t fair on other applicants who don’t have one on their resume.
However, it also depends.
- Adding a photo on your resume may be a requirement: Actors need to submit professional headshots when applying for roles in theatre, TV or film, so submitting a photo of themselves is an actual requirement since their appearance is judged for the purposes of character work.
- Having a photo when attending a networking event helps: If you’re attending a networking event or conference, you may want your new contacts to remember what you look like when considering you for future job roles.
- You believe adding a photo adds value to your application: You may think it’s appropriate to add a photo on your resume because it adds a personable touch that may make employers inclined to meet you.
Need further tips when it comes to your resume?
If you need advice when it comes to writing an excellent job application, be sure to check out some of our popular articles on resume writing below:
However, the best way to improve your chances of securing your dream job is to take the opportunity to upskill. Not only does further study
help improve the visibility of your resume, employers will be inclined to consider you for a job role knowing that you chose to invest in education
Start your course search today
and see why Upskilled is a popular RTO amongst students
when it comes to receiving high-quality online education.
Jana Angeles is the Content Marketing Specialist at Upskilled. She regularly pens insightful articles on SkillsTalk about online education and career development. Outside of work, you can usually find her at her local record store or having brunch at a fancy cafe.