Individuals who undertake this qualification will learn how to provide support regarding the mental, emotional, and lifestyle problems of a diverse range of clients, will learn how to recognise and respond to crisis situations, and will experience working with other medical practitioners – all within an ethical and legal framework. Assessments will be based on both practical and theoretical knowledge.
The standard course is conducted over a 24 month period; within a self-paced online learning environment.
Upskilled will gather information about your previous experience and skills, weekly study commitment and online learning experience to provide you with an projected duration for your course based on your individual circumstance.
Upskilled uses MyUpskilled to manage the delivery and assessment of your course. This means you can learn at your own pace.
There are no entry requirements listed in the Training Package for this qualification.
Participants who enter this course are from diverse backgrounds with a distinct interest in helping others to overcome psychological and life challenges and barriers but may not have any experience in the industry or related fields.
As a guide, entrants to this program may:
- be 18 years or older
- have 1-2 years of experience with in a helping role
- hold a certificate IV in a related discipline
- complete an interview process with a designated Upskilled representative to ascertain suitability to the program and to review your current skills and experience, as this may allow you to move through the course more quickly
This qualification reflects the role of counsellors, who work with clients on personal and psychological issues using established counselling modalities. They use communication, micro-counselling and interviewing skills and draw on varied counselling therapies to assist clients. At this level, the counsellor will be working in defined and supported counselling roles in established agencies rather than in independent practice.
To ensure participants are able to seamlessly access our online learning platform and video content, they will require access to a modern computer with high-speed internet. Participants will also need to possess basic computing skills, and may be required to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy skills assessment before enrolment can be confirmed.
Upskilled courses include specialised learning materials, and access to:
- Upskilled’s fully customised online learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Support services
- your trainer via the trainer/student messaging system
- video content access via:
Recognition of Prior Learning / Credit Transfer / Credit Transfer
Work experience or formal qualifications you have may count towards your course. If you have previously undertaken study at a recognised institution or have some relevant work experience, you might gain credit towards specific units in a course; shortening the time you have to study. You can send your application for Credit Transfer or RPL
during the enrolment process.
Upskilled provides a very practical approach to this qualification. As part of your assessment, you will be a trainee counsellor within a simulated workplace and required to complete a minimum of 12 supervised counselling sessions with at least 6 different clients with varying issues.
This approach will provide much-needed hands-on practice in counselling clients and will allow you to apply learning and counselling theories in practice. More info here.
Upskilled takes evidence gathered from a variety of sources to deem a student as competent. Assessment processes might include some or all of the following:
- Recognition of Prior Learning and/or credit transfer
- summative and formative assignments
- written reports and/or portfolio assessments
- scenarios and/or case studies
- written/oral questions
- regular training and assessment contact will be maintained by Upskilled in conjunction with the participant and their employer (where applicable). Critical dates during the program will be identified for participants to ensure compliance to assessment due dates, and attendance at monthly webinars as required.