Upskilled's Dual Certificate IV program, is a unique course that equips you with an exceptional blend of skills in both Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) and Mental Health (MH) support. Beginning with the CHC43215 Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs, you'll cultivate the expertise to excel in a community services role dedicated to helping individuals navigate drug and alcohol challenges. This qualification primes you for a rewarding career, offering the aptitude to assist clients facing a diverse range of substance-related issues.
Upon completing the AOD component, seamlessly transition to the CHC43315 Certificate IV in Mental Health. As diagnosed mental health issues continue to rise, the demand for skilled mental health workers is paramount. This certificate empowers you to specialise in providing crucial support to clients dealing with mental health illnesses. Through practical experiences, including a work placement, you'll acquire job-ready skills to thrive in this dynamic sector.
Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Component:
What you'll learn
Mental Health (MH) Component:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of substance abuse and its impact
- Learn effective communication strategies for supporting individuals with addiction
- Gain skills in assessing and managing drug and alcohol-related issues
- Implement harm reduction strategies to assist clients on their recovery journey
- Work collaboratively with care teams and other services
- Apply trauma-informed care effectively
- Assess and promote social, emotional, and physical wellbeing
- Provide recovery-oriented mental health services
The standard course is conducted over a 24-36 month period; within a self-paced online learning environment.
Upskilled will gather information about your previous experience and skills, weekly study commitment and online learning experience to provide you with an projected duration for your course based on your individual circumstance.
Upskilled uses MyUpskilled to manage the delivery and assessment of your course. This means you can learn at your own pace.
Please note: You'll be required to undertake the unit HLTAID011 Provide first aid with an external provider at your own cost.
Upskilled courses include specialised learning materials, and access to:
- Upskilled’s fully customised online learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Support Team
- Specialist trainers
Recognition of Prior Learning / Credit Transfer / Credit Transfer
Work experience or formal qualifications you have may count towards your course. If you have previously undertaken study at a recognised institution or have some relevant work experience, you might gain credit towards specific units in a course; shortening the time you have to study. You can send your application for Credit Transfer or RPL
during the enrolment process.
Upskilled takes evidence gathered from a variety of sources to deem a student as competent. Assessment processes might include some or all of the following:
- Recognition of Prior Learning and/or credit transfer
- summative and formative assignments
- written reports and/or portfolio assessments
- scenarios and/or case studies
- written/oral questions
- regular training and assessment contact will be maintained by Upskilled in conjunction with the participant and their employer (where applicable). Critical dates during the program will be identified for participants to ensure compliance to assessment due dates, and attendance at monthly webinars as required.
Role-Playing and Interactive Learning Activities
This course comes with Interactive Learning Activities. Upskilled understands the importance of practical experience, so to complement the theory components of your course, our specialist trainers may run ad-hoc Interactive Learning Activities.
You'll have the opportunity to collaborate with other students - sharing questions, thoughts and ideas, as well as participating together in interactive learning activities.
While the Interactive Learning Activities are not mandatory, your participation is encouraged.
You can receive some additional benefits and support, which may include:
- Having a study buddy where you can bounce off ideas and help each other with assessments.
- Online Classrooms where our specialist trainers can go over learning content that's part of your course.
- Activities that relate to your assessments, which can help boost your knowledge and skills.
Additionally, role-playing is included in some of the learning areas of this course. It will also make up some of the practical elements of your assessments, including the assessments in your work placement.
The benefits of role-playing
Upskilled believes that you can benefit from undertaking role-playing activities throughout your studies. Not only are they fun and interactive, it gives you the opportunity to collaborate with other participants such as other students, your family, friends and or colleagues.
Below are some benefits you can experience when role-playing:
Find out how our students actually gain employment after studying.
- Improved decision-making and communication skills: Working in health and community services may involve you working in a variety of work settings. Professionals in this field are expected to make decisions and communicate effectively with clients, colleagues and stakeholders. Our role-playing assessments can help further improve your decision-making and communication skills in a community service workplace.
- Preparation for work placement: Role-playing is effective in helping you prepare for work placement. Before you go on work placement, you'll need to complete most of the theory components of your course. The skills and knowledge developed from your role-playing assessments are based on scenarios you may face when working in the community services industry.
- Develop knowledge and skills to be "work-ready": Due to the interactive nature of role-playing, it can be an opportunity to practice community service industry roles with volunteers and other students in order to enhance your knowledge and skills. Job roles within this field are "hands-on", so role-playing can prepare you for the physical nature of the work - particularly in the disability and aged care sectors.