What is a distance learning course?
Distance education comes with many names including, distance learning, e-learning and online learning but, whatever it is called, if you choose to take a distance learning course with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) like Upskilled, you can expect a few key things that will help you to manage your study whilst looking after your family. Find out more about RTOs here.
- Learning without the hassle of having to be in a certain place, at a certain time
- Close online support throughout the distance learning course (our online systems keep you and your trainer informed about your progress)
- A dedicated trainer who will support you and monitor your progress (your trainer will get to know you and tailor your support to suit your individual needs)
- Contact with your trainer via phone and email (we will go along with your preferred contact method and, where possible, times)
- Regular and constructive feedback to assignments (to help you find out what you are doing well and how you could make improvements)
- The option to study where and when you choose (study that fits in with your family and lifestyle)
- The freedom to study at your own pace (no pressure at all for those who like to take their time over study or who find themselves busy with the family)
- Possible options for ‘campus based’ elements of study (depending on the distance education course you choose)
- Nationally recognised qualifications (accredited by the Australian Skills Quality Authority)
If you are a stay at home parent, new to distance education and wanting to find out more about how a distance learning course might suit you, you should find the information on our online learning page helpful. You might also be interested to read what some of our satisfied studentssay about distance learning and how it fitted in with their lifestyle and requirements.
Distance education is the perfect training option for stay at home parents. If you would like to take a look at some examples of our distance learning courses, we have picked out a couple for you. At Upskilled we have qualifications available from Certificate I to Bachelor level and on such a wide range of topics that you might be surprised when you find out exactly what you can study on a distance learning course. Here is an example of the great distance education opportunities Upskilled has to offer:
Certificate I in Information, Digital Media and Technology (ICT10115)
Although the employment requirements across Australia are starting to be met in some Information and Communication Technology jobs, there are still areas of need where recruitment levels are high. These include ‘graphic and web designers and illustrators’, which is where one of our Digital Media courses would come in (interestingly the gender split for this branch of IT is almost 50/50). The Certificate I course is for those wishing to take their first steps into formal ICT training and would be a great step for any stay at home parent who was already enjoying IT at home. It offers all of the flexibility that any busy parent would need and consists of 6 units.
Who are distance learning courses for?
Across Australia more and more people are taking up some form of study and many of them are opting for distance education. 40.9% of Australians aged 15-74 took part in formal and/or non-formal learning in the months between June 2016 and June 2017. Whilst statistics about men who stay at home to care for their families are difficult to come by, there has been a passionate debate across Australia about whether or not women should stay out of the workplace in order to care for their children. Employment in Australian women aged between 25 and 54 is currently around 73%, but being a stay at home parent doesn’t mean that you can’t prepare for your eventual return to work; a distance learning course is an excellent way to do this. If you aren’t sure what route you would like your training to take, how about trying one of our carefully tailored short courses first? Here are a couple of examples:
Short Course – Effective Networking
For anyone who has spent time out of the workforce, regaining the confidence to deal with work relationships and build business networks can seem like a daunting task. Our short course (just 2 units of competency) in Effective Networking holds relevance to a wide range of industry situations and may be just the confidence boost you need.
What are the benefits to distance education?
- Upskilled distance learning courses are nationally accredited.
- With Upskilled you will be working in a comfortable online environment.
- Upskilled distance education offers all the flexibility you need.
- The Upskilled team believe that support leads to success.
Here at Upskilled we believe that distance education is a great option for anyone but it has particular benefits for stay at home parents who live busy and often unpredictable lives. We explain why taking a distance learning course might be a great option for you:
1. Upskilled distance learning courses are nationally accredited.
This means that whenever you decided the time is right for you to re-enter the workforce, your qualification will match employer requirements and national standards. A nationally accredited course can find you work across Australia and often the world.
2. With Upskilled you will be working in a comfortable online environment.
We understand that busy parents don’t have any time for messing around with IT problems or learning how to use complicated systems. Our online environment has been designed with you in mind so that, when you do get a free moment, your time can be used for study, not struggle.
3. Upskilled distance education offers all the flexibility you need.
Family life is unpredictable right? One moment the little darlings are all over the place and making you tear your hair out, the next they are fast asleep. With a distance education course from Upskilled you can pick up your study when you need to… and put it down again when family duty calls.
4. The Upskilled team believe that support leads to success.
Even if you are a bit nervous about returning to education, with your own dedicated trainer you will soon feel like part of the Upskilled family and have all the support you need. Our trainers are experienced in helping people who are balancing study with busy lives. You may even find that some of them are stay at home parents too.
At Upskilled we believe that distance education is suitable for anyone and exactly the right choice for many. For stay at home parents, distance education can be a lifeline that allows them to remain connected with the world of work whilst still feeling that they are doing the best job they can for their families. Why not browse through our extensive range of accredited distance learning courses now or get in touch with one of our advisors for some friendly and understanding advice.