This qualification will suit you if you're interested in pursuing a junior-level programming job. You'll learn and develop skills in application and database development, the basics of copyright, ethics and privacy in an ICT environment, and building a user interface. Other soft skills like collaboration, critical thinking skills and problem-solving may also be learnt throughout the course.
This qualification comprises units that will help you develop skills in programming, which can aid you in finding employment as a junior progammer. From the online course, you'll learn to:
- Develop mobile applications
- Build a user interface
- Identify and resolve client ICT problems
- Test software developments
- Write scripts for software applications
Other personal skills you may learn along the way include:
- Collaborating with others
- Developing critical thinking skills
- Strengthening problem-solving skills
Work in a simulated workplace
In order to feel "work-ready" in the ICT industry, Upskilled ensures that you're working on real world scenarios.
By offering a simulated workplace, you'll get the chance to work on tasks that are commonly done in an ICT work environment. You'll have access to the simulated workplace via our customised learning platform, MyUpskilled. The aim of working in the simulated workplace is to set a context to the assessment tasks you would be required to complete.
By choosing Upskilled, you will gain access to supplementary resources that can help with your studies. These inclusions aim to enhance your online learning experience, making it interactive and engaging. These include:
- Access to Upskilled's customised learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Support Team
- Specialist trainers
- Online tutorials
Video content access to:
Access to Pluralsight is provided as you progress throughout the course and may not be available or relevant in every unit.
Show Off Your Achievements with Upskilled Digital Credentials!
Students who successfully complete their qualification receive a digital badge from Upskilled to display on LinkedIn and other social media platforms, your resume and more. Our sharable badges are portable, verifiable credentials that validate your knowledge, skills and experience in the area of your studies.
Since you worked hard to earn it - why not show everyone your accomplishments?
Recognition of Prior Learning / Credit Transfer
You may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) or Credit Transfer (CT) provided that you have supporting evidence of any prior education and work experience. This can either reduce your study load or shorten the duration of your course. Prior to enrolment, please speak with your Education Consultant for further details.
After enrolment, you can download the application from MyUpskilled, or on request from Student Support. A trainer will be then be assigned to assess your elibigility for RPL and/or CT.
This course will have you undertake summative and formative assessments, write reports and/or create a portfolio, and participate in role-playing scenarios. You'll also be working on a variety of projects that require your own research as well as answering various written/oral questions that apply the theory you learn into practice.
Programming Languages and Applications
The ICT40120 - Certificate IV in Information Technology (Programming) will have you explore integral programming languages that can provide you with the skills and knowledge to pursue career opportunities as a developer.
There are plenty of benefits that come with learning specific programming languages if you intend on having a long-term career in programming. These include:
- Preparedness for career success: Knowing specific programming languages can put you ahead of the career game as you'll have the opportunity to be able to solve problems quickly the more languages you know. Programmers who have a broad knowledge of different languages are ahead of the game because the results are different for each one, so it helps to know several when problem-solving.
- Increased salary potential: Employers are willing to pay more if you know any of the trending programming languages. As a developer, you're expected to keep yourself updated with the latest trends so possessing knowledge of several languages or being willing to learn more can work to your advantage. Employers are willing to pay for your expertise, especially if you know programming languages that are valuable to the company.
- Having a versatile skill set: Knowing multiple languages means you'll be able to work on interesting projects, which can give you variety across your job responsibilities. By only knowing one language, you risk yourself of doing the same thing over and over, which can lead to boredom. Having knowledge of a variety of programming languages means you'll better adapt to the changes of the industry and have a versatile skill set, making you sought-after by employers.
The programming languages you will learn in this course include:
- Python: This is a programming language used to develop apps. Python is also commonly used in web development, AI, machine learning, operating systems and game development.
- UML (Unified Modeling Language): This language is used as a way to visualise the design of a system by software developers. This is one of the common visual languages used in programming.
- SQL (Structured Query Language): This language is used for managing data in relational database management systems. Using SQL can be useful in extracting relevant and useful data from a large dataset.
- C#: This is a programming language that is designed to be used in developing a variety of applications that run on the .NET framework. C# is predominately for the development of desktop applications, website applications and web services.
- Java: This is a widely used programming language and plays a role in app development. In the programming course, you'll have the opportunity to create an app using Android Studio.
In addition to learning the programming languages, you'll also have access to popular tech applications such as:
- SQL Server
- Visual Studio
- Android Studio