Students in this course will learn to assess and support the needs of the people in our communities. You will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with a diverse range of people and learn how to recognise and respond to crisis situations.
- As part of the course, students will also be required to undertake 100 hours of practical placement in a community services environment.
- Upskilled does not offer the required Unit of Competency HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid. Any student enrolling in this specialisation, who is not holding a current First Aid Certificate, will be required to undertake this Unit of Competency with an external provider.
The standard course is conducted over a 12 month period; within a self-paced online learning environment.
Upskilled will gather information about your previous experience and skills, weekly study commitment and online learning experience to provide you with a projected duration for your course based on your individual circumstance.
Upskilled uses MyUpskilled to manage the delivery and assessment of your course. This means you can learn at your own pace.
There are no entry requirements listed in the Training Package for this qualification.
The participants for the CHC52015 - Diploma of Community Services may be already working in a supporting or community role.
Participants who enter this course are from diverse backgrounds with a distinct interest and a willingness to support others in achieving positive personal outcomes through fulfilling helping capacity roles.
As a guide, entrants to this program may:
- have 1-2 years of experience with servicing the community
- hold a Certificate IV in a related discipline
- complete an interview process with a designated Upskilled representative to ascertain suitability to the program and to review your current skills and experience, as this may allow you to move through the course more quickly
This qualification reflects the roles of community services, case management and social housing workers involved in the managing, co-ordinating and/or delivering of person-centred services to individuals, groups and communities.
To ensure participants are able to seamlessly access our online learning platform and video content, they will require access to a modern computer with high-speed internet. Participants will also need to possess basic computing skills, and will be required to complete a Language Literacy and Numeracy skills assessment before enrolment can be confirmed.
Upskilled courses include specialised learning materials, and access to:
- Upskilled’s fully customised online learning platform, MyUpskilled
- Student Support services
- your trainer via the trainer/student messaging system
- the electronic textbook Fundamentals of Case Management Practice: Skills for the Human Services by Nancy Summers (5th edition)
- video content access via:
Recognition of Prior Learning / Credit TransferRecognition of Prior Learning / Credit Transfer / Credit Transfer
Work experience or formal qualifications you have may count towards your course. If you have previously undertaken study at a recognised institution or have some relevant work experience, you might gain credit towards specific units in a course; shortening the time you have to study. You can send your application for Credit Transfer or RPL
during the enrolment process.
Upskilled takes evidence gathered from a variety of sources to deem a student as competent. Assessment processes might include some or all of the following:
- Recognition of Prior Learning and/or credit transfer
- summative and formative assignments
- written reports and/or portfolio assessments
- scenarios and/or case studies
- written/oral questions
- regular training and assessment contact will be maintained by Upskilled in conjunction with the participant and their employer (where applicable). Critical dates during the program will be identified for participants to ensure compliance to assessment due dates, and attendance online if required.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Temporary suspension of Upskilled's 60-Day Work Placement Guarantee during COVID-19. For more information, please read our latest update.
This qualification requires a minimum of 100 hours to be completed in a community services Environment, supervised by qualified staff.
You will be required to complete and pay
an application for a Working with Children or Vulnerable People Check
prior to enrolment in this course.
Upskilled will secure your work placement, ensuring we can provide an environment in which you can be successful in the course. During your placement, an Upskilled workplace assessor will visit you to observe you performing some of your assessment tasks.
If a work placement visit cannot be organised
due to the unavailability of some or all parties a professional conversation between Upskilled's Trainer/Assessor, the student and Workplace Supervisor will take place for validation of the student’s practical skill ability. This will be recorded and where possible practical skills will be simulated or assessed by the Trainer/Assessor via video link.
More information can be found here.