With End of Financial Year (EOFY) approaching, you may be at the point where you’re scrambling past receipts to claim back your tax expenses. Perhaps you’re looking into training your staff
so their skills are up to scratch for the new financial year.
Either way, there are plenty of benefits when it comes to further study
. Not only is EOFY the perfect opportunity to upskill, but the expenses that come with education are normally backed by the government if it is work-related, meaning that studying a course
may not come out of your budget after all.
You may not feel the urgency of picking up a course before EOFY, however, Skillstalk are here to give you some of the best reasons why you should study a course and how it will benefit you in the long-term:
Reasons why you should upskill before EOFY
- Self-education expenses are tax deductible.
- It’s an effective way to use training budget.
- Online learning will set yourself up well for the new financial year.
- Learning new skills will help the growth of your small business.
- Upskilling can help increase your earning potential.
1. Self-education expenses are tax deductible.
If you’ve discussed with your boss about taking up a course with Upskilled and already know what qualification you need that will help with your current role, the course fees are tax deductible if it’s work-related.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that there are eligibility requirements that need to be met to be able to claim a self-education expense. As quoted from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), “a tax deduction for your self-education expenses related to your work as an employee is available if you work and study at the same time”.
According to the ATO, if you meet any of these conditions below, you are eligible to claim back a self-education expense:
- You are upgrading a qualification related to your role. For example, you currently hold a Certificate IV in Marketing and Communication (BSB42415) but want to upgrade into the Diploma of Marketing and Communication (BSB52415).
- You’re currently improving your skill set or gaining further knowledge to help with your job performance. For example, you may be a Social Media Coordinator wanting to take over the position of Social Media Manager. However, you may need to study a Diploma of Social Media Marketing (10118NAT) to help you succeed with the added responsibilities that come with the role.
- The course you’re doing is related to a traineeship program.
- You’re able to show that studying while working has enabled you to receive a pay increase in your current position.
From the criteria above, you can learn that people not only choose to study to develop their skills, but it’s a chance to prove themselves to their employers why they deserve an increased wage or better job title
. Not only does gaining a qualification great for someone with the desire to make career moves within their industry, but it also proves that they can be a valuable asset to their employer.
Upskilled has plenty of online courses
offered in popular industries such as IT, business, human resources, logistics and more. Studying online has many great benefits
, one being that you can juggle work and study at the same time. With its flexible delivery, courses can generally be completed within 12 months, or less if you decide to study at an accelerated pace.
So, investing in your education and choosing Upskilled as a course provider can help you achieve your career goals
and what better way to do it than before EOFY.
2. It’s an effective way to use training budget.
If you’re running your own business and have some leftover training budget, we encourage to take the plunge and consider upskilling your staff! There are plenty of benefits that come with training, and it’s not limited to the fact that they gain new skills along the way. According to The Thriving Small Business, here are some of the other benefits that come from employee training:
- You can incentivise new onboarding staff with training opportunities: If you’re in the process of hiring new people for your company, it’s great to pitch to potential job candidates that you offer training opportunities. Millennials in particular see skill-building as a great job-perk, providing them with skills that will be an important foundation for their career.
- You keep your business current by keeping your staff’s skillsets up-to-date: Using up the remainder of your training budget before EOFY is great timing. Maybe it’s been a while since your staff have gone through some training and you may have some goals in mind that you want to achieve in the next financial year. Training keeps you in-check of your staff when it comes to their skills. Not only does studying nurture their skills but they will also gain valuable knowledge that will help improve their job performance.
- Training boosts employee morale: Employees value job satisfaction and training not only gives them purpose, but it will most likely keep them happy in their jobs too. It’s important for workplaces to provide opportunities of growth, so enabling this in your business can help improve your staff’s engagement in their current roles. They will also feel more motivated when it comes to working towards the objectives you have set for the upcoming financial year. Training also enhances team-building as it encourages your staff to work together and solve problems in a collaborative manner.
- Employees will apply what they’ve learnt in their studies to real-work situations: Applied knowledge is what you gain from studying a course and since Upskilled delivers their courses online, your staff will be able to incorporate all the concepts they’ve learned throughout their studies in real-work situations.
- Improved employee retention: Running your own business can be tough, especially if staff turnover has increased. Upskilling your staff can help you keep good employees for a while, provided that training opportunities offers growth and development. Studying keeps employees motivated and gives them an incentive to stay longer, especially if you are funding for their education and the outcome is a relevant qualification in the end.
3. Online learning will set yourself up well for the new financial year.
Goal-setting is normal to implement, especially if you’re new to entrepreneurship and want to improve the operations within the business, ensuring that you make enough profit to be sustainable.
Taking the opportunity to upskill will not only help you be motivated to achieve your goals, but it will give you the “fresh” start you need. You may have been wanting to fill a skills gap for a long time, or you considered studying but worried about amending your current schedule when running your business.
One of the excellent benefits of online learning is that you can study at a time that suits you. Upskilled has plenty of Certificate and Diploma-level courses across a range of industries, and most qualifications are nationally-recognised
as well. You won’t need to amend your current schedule since you can study before work or after, while also juggling your responsibilities within your personal life
If you’re looking for specific qualifications that will help your business thrive, consider these Upskilled courses in small business: Certificate IV in Small Business Management
(BSB42518) and Certificate IV in New Small Business
These courses will help you manage your priorities
, market your small business effectively, and help its work operations. If you’re motivated to start fresh before the new financial year, upskilling is a great way to establish and develop soft skills
that will help you be well-prepared when problems in the workplace arise.
4. Upskilling can help increase your earning potential.
You may be working hard to get recognised by your current employer and want to prove that you’re a valuable asset to the company.
Did you know that studying not only helps you with your credentials, but it also gives you the greater prospect of receiving a pay rise
and the promotion you deserve? Studying a course not only helps with developing your skills, but it also shows some admirable qualities all employers look for: resilience, motivation, persistence and adaptability.
Furthermore, while studying online is quite flexible, you need to be strict when it comes to managing your priorities and time. From this, you can gain soft skills in critical thinking, time management and problem solving from study.
If potential employers
look at your resume and have seen you’ve completed a qualification, you will have leverage when it comes to your salary. Meaning that you may have a better chance of negotiating better pay since you have gained some in-demand skills
from your qualification.
The benefit of studying with Upskilled is that you can still study while juggling your current job, giving you the opportunity to fast-track your progress and have a qualification under your belt in less than 12 months.
Furthermore, Upskilled has partnerships with some reputable universities around Australia
where a diploma or certificate course can be an entry pathway to some specialised degrees.
Want to tick off more goals in the next financial year?
Investing in education is a great way to feel motivated before the new financial year. If you’re currently running a business
and want to improve its operation, or simply want to pick up a qualification that will help improve your employment prospects, then consider studying online with Upskilled.
With a broad range of courses
, Upskilled delivers quality online education from in-demand industries around Australia. You will receive one-on-one support from a dedicated trainer and have the student support team available to help with any issues that may arise throughout your course.
Upskilled also has training specifically for businesses and courses can be customised according to the needs of the students. Visit the corporate website
and learn more on how Upskilled can help you achieve your business goals set for the 2019-20 financial year.